Matt In The Hat

I've given in. I've started a blog and my first post explains the rationale. For comments on my blog you may contact me directly by email at maskari03@yahoo.com. Cheers, Matt.

Sunday, September 02, 2007

The Call

.

Call to United Airlines Mileage Plus, the frequent flyer program for United.


-In a robotic voice- Thanks for calling the United Mileage Plus customer service line. Would you like- reservations? Upgrades? Enroll in Mileage Plus? Or for everything else say- account services.


-Reservations.


-You’d like to enroll in Mileage Plus, correct?


-No.


-Sorry, I didn’t hear you.


-No reservations.


-You’d like upgrades correct?


-RES-ER-VA-TIONS.


-Okay, reservations. Is this for a reservation you’ve already made?


-No.


-Is this for award travel?


-Agent.


-I’m sorry, I didn’t-


-AGENT AGENT REPRESENTATIVE AGENT


-Okay, I’ll trans-


-AGENT AGENT! (transferring noises, brief hold).


-Good evening thanks for calling United Mileage Plus. You’d like to make a reservation is that correct?


-Yes.


-From where are you flying?


-Actually I’m in South America, I’d like to know which cities you guys serve. I know I can use miles to fly within South America, but I don’t know what my options are.


-I’m sorry what city was that?


-No. I’d like a list of cities you fly to in South America. Is there some kind of list?


-From what city will you be flying out of?


-OH MY GOD. I don’t have one. Fine, let’s pretend Buenos Aires.


-How many people will be flying?


-Me.


-Is that one person?


-(pausing for mental anguish)Yes I’m- one person.


-And what date will you be flying out?


-Any date.


-I’m sorry I didn’t get that.


-ANY date. This isn’t real. I just want to know my options.


- (pause) I’m sorry sir I need a date.


-September 15th.


-You’d like to fly out Septem-


-September 15th September 15th September 15th.


-Okay, I have for one person departing Buenos Aires on September 15th. And the destination?


-I don’t know - where can I go?


-I’m sorry I didn’t get your destination.


-I don’t Have One. Is there a List? A list of Cities-To-Pick-From? A list of of places United, or it’s Partners serve from Buenos Aires?


-Please hold one moment sir (composing myself). Sir?


-Yes.


-Do you want to go to Paraguay, Uruguay, Brazil, Venezuela, Colombia-


-Colombia. Yes.


-You want to go to Colombia?


-Yes, that’s fine.


-Let me check sir (insufferable wait). Sir?


-Yeah.


-Is that Bogota?


-Sure.


-You’d like to go to Bogota?


-YES.


-Please hold (quickly). Sir?


-Yeah?


-I have one passenger departing from E-Z-E Buenos Aires flying to Bogota B-O-G on the 15th of September, is that correct?


-OH MY GOD, YES, Yes its correct.


-Please hold (short wait). Sir?


-Yup.


-I have nothing on that date.


-Try any day in September.


-You want me to check every day?


-Any day will do.


-Please ho-


-Yeah.


-Sir?


-Ma’am?


-Sir?


-Yes Oh My God, What’d you find?


-(pause, possible confusion on her part) Sir there is nothing for September.


-Are you sure you even serve Colombia?


-There’s nothing for September sir.


-How about October?


-What day in October sir?


-(pause, some difficulty on my part) Any day. All of them. Try Everyday.


-Please hold.


-Sir?


-Still here.


-None for October sir.


-Is there Ever availibility? Are you sure you serve Colombia?


-Nothing for October sir.


-What about for the rest of the year, or even In the next year? What about that?
Anything?


-I’ll check the next twelve months sir.


-(Long, long pause in which I think of exciting things like taxes, cucumbers, hybrid bell-peppers, fizziness-level of South American soft-drinks-) Sir?


-Yes.


-Sir I have nothing for the next twelve mon-


-CLICK-.

.

2 Comments:

Blogger Patricio G. Bazán said...

Man, there must be a kind of software programation error there, specially with the 'ever' modificator. Or... there must be a kind of sucker talking to the customer. You choose.
BTW, I hope you're enjoining your southamerican tour!
Greetings!

6:18 AM  
Blogger Anne & Oli said...

Awful experiences make good memories and excellent blog posts!

Have a nice time wherever in South America!

Olivier et Anne

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home